Advertising Planning Portfolio

Topics: Bing, Web search engine, Google search Pages: 5 (1228 words) Published: June 16, 2013

Assignment #1

Consumer Insight and Strategy Statement

Jacob Fearon Henderson


Market Analysis and Background
Bing is considered to be ‘the new’ search engine. Released in June 2009, Bing is Microsoft’s solution to the current search engine market monopolist, Google. Microsoft has focused on Bing being the search engine with the best quality results. One-click access to desired information, easy-to-use exploring tools, simplified search tasks and more specific search results are the main competitive advantages of Bing.

“Google Australia accounted for 74.61% of Australian searches during February, with taking 12.65%, equating to an overall market share of 87.26%” Stafford, P. (2011).

We can see the incredible market share of Google (refer to Appendix 1) despite the fact that Microsoft has invested more that $80 million dollars on Bing since its launch in 2009 (Sullivan, D. 2009). Google currently owns 89.68% of the search engine market share, while Bing is responsible for a minute 3.77% of the Australian market and 4.21% worldwide (StatCounter, 2011).

Business Objectives
Increase awareness in Australia
Regardless of Bing’s release into the market almost 2 years ago with such a large advertising and marketing budget, many people are still unaware of Bing and it’s functions. The campaign aims to increase awareness by 80% in Australia, and by 90% in the specified Australian Target market within 12 months.

Increase brand usage:
The 12 month campaign will look to increase Bing’s market share by 6% and also a 40% increase in search engine consumers who have utilized the website at least once.

Communication Objective
Increase brand loyalty
The campaign needs to communicate to the Target Audience how Bing is the best search engine for them. They need to connect with the campaign personally and put Bing at the forefront of their minds when it comes to search engine.

Consumer Objective
The campaign should increase consumer preference. Over 12 months the objective is for an increase by 10% of the Target Market to prefer Bing rather than Google and other search engines. This will probably prove to be the hardest objective to achieve as consumers have been found to be extremely difficult to change current search engine preference.

Target Audience
The researched has directed the campaign to a primary and a secondary target market. One is the early adopters – so Bing can build and grow in time, and the other is the older generation – to increase short-term market share.

Primary market
The primary market for the campaign will be 6 to 13 year olds of both genders. They will have a middle to high education, go to school, and be tech savvy. They will spend much of their free-time online, exploring entertainment and social networking sites such as Youtube and Facebook. They are interested in games (online and video), movies, music, sport and are active information seekers. This market is young, future trendsetters and will not have the strong loyalty that the majority of the search engine market has with Google.

It has been proven to be almost impossible to get current loyal Google users to switch to Bing. Focus group research revealed that 8 out of 12 users thought they would stay with Google as their preferred search engine, despite a positive experience with Bing (Shaer, M. 2009). Also a current Google user stated in an interview “Bing generates interest, but it’s hard to take me away from Google because I’m so comfortable with it’ (Shaer, M. 2009).

The secondary market will be males and females aged 50 - 65. They will be more likely to have children, slightly less educated, not so tech savvy, generally live in metropolitan areas. They are wealthier than the average search engine user, although due to their children, have a small level of disposable income....
Continue Reading

Please join StudyMode to read the full document

You May Also Find These Documents Helpful

  • advertising Essay
  • Advertising Essay
  • Advertising Essay
  • Essay on Advertising
  • Advertising Essay
  • advertising Essay
  • Marketing and Advertising Planning Essay

Become a StudyMode Member

Sign Up - It's Free