* A public notice meant (a) to convey information (b) invite patronage or some other response. Inform and persuade ("stimulate demand"). From a marketing context, advertising could be defined as "a paid form of nonpersonal communication about an organization and/or its products that is transmitted to a target audience through a mass medium." Therefore one kind of promotional activity, separate from publicity (free), sales promotion (not forms of communication), and personal selling (not impersonal nor through a mass medium). * Morally neutral: neither in itself good nor bad.
Reason: Advertising is a tool.
ROLE OF ADVERTISING IN MODERN BUSINESS WORLD
* Advertising communicates the message in persuasive language * It creates wide markets as the information is delivered to people far and wide * It inclines people favorably to the products and affect our attributes * Therefore, advertising performs an economic function by being an art of persuasion * Advertising is also an economic process-it helps the product to become known and it facilitates exchange between those who need the product and those who can satisfy the need * Provides employment opportunities (in advertising industry) Social Function
* Advertising affects the core cultural values and subsidiary cultural values * Advertising is a mirror to the society in which it operates. It reflects the cultural values of that society * Advertising can also transfer some cultural values of one society to other * Advertising has improved our standard of living
Example : We buy Television, , cars etc. after getting interested in these products through advertising.
We have accepted new ideas such as microwave, electric shaving etc through advertising. Social Function
* Advertising protects the consumer by education them and by forcing the manufacturers to maintain quality and to be fair. Therefore, advertising brings about consumer welfare in two ways – by improving standard of living and by improving product quality. Psychological function
* Advertising is closely linked to consumer behavior.
* Therefore it affects personality of consumer, his concept of self, his attitudes, beliefs, opinions, his life-stle etc. * Advertising appeals to our physiological and psychological motives.
ADVERTISING AND SOCIETY
* Advertisements are not just sellers
* They reflect the society
* Whatever is used in society is reflected in advertising Example:
* Indian society is highly family oriented (example ads: savings for children, daughter’s marriage) * Indian society is people-oriented, and not self oriented * For the sake of our family and others, we Indians can postpone our own gratification * We are also fun loving (example ads: Lux, Coke, Denim Jeans etc.)
ETHICAL ISSUES RELEVANT TO ADVERTISING
Principles of the moral order must be applied to the domain of media *
Human freedom has a purpose: making an authentic moral response. All attempts to inform and persuade must respect the purposes of human freedom if they are to be moral. *
Morally good advertising therefore is that advertising that seeks to move people to choose and act rationally in morally good ways; morally evil advertising seeks to move people to do evil deeds that are self-destructive and destructive of authentic community *
Means and techniques of advertising must also be considered: manipulative, exploitative, corrupt and corrupting methods of persuasion and motivation Three Specific Moral Principles
1. RESPECT TRUTHFULNESS (deception objection)
Never directly intend to deceive
Never use simply untrue advertising
Do not distort the truth by implying things that are not so or withholding relevant facts *
"Puffery" is acceptable where it is consonant with recognized and accepted rhetorical and symbolic practice 2....
Please join StudyMode to read the full document